Case Study: How This Fashion E-commerce Store Increased Revenue By 62% In Flat 6 Months
What was the challenge?
Our client is one of the top online fashion shopping stores for women’s clothes and apparel based out of the U.S.
Theyhad been facing a consistent decrease in website traffic and revenue for the last 6 months
It was after this fall when the client approached us to help identify the issues being faced and improve their traffic.
Our goal with the client was straightforward, increase traffic, generate sales and achieve a positive ROI in less than 6 months.
We started first with benchmarking the key SEO parameters so as to have a baseline that can be compared with the subsequent month’s data. The baseline was taken in September 2019.
Steps taken for Optimizing SEO –
1) On-Page SEO –
We worked on the following activities for fixing On-Page website issues.
(i) Content –
Content is king!
The content of the website plays the most important part in helping the website rank within the top search results. For improving the content we did the following things from SEO perspective –
- Emphasized the product benefits by repeating several times
- Used power words suited for the psychological need of the product
- Created a Blog section on the website and regularly posted new content in it with topic ranging from the latest trends in the fashion industry to reviews of the various products on the website
- Made an FAQ page comprising answers to the frequently asked queries of the customers
(ii) Keyword optimization –
Keyword analysis and optimization forms one of the most critical parts of the SEO activity for any website. Targeting the right set of keywords is essential to improve the traffic on the website.
We first created a list of 48K+ keywords that our client’s site was ranking on. Then we identified the keywords which were having a high volume, low competition, and high conversion rates.
Using this criterion we finalized the 18 keywords and went ahead and optimized them by building the backlinks on these keywords as the anchor text. (text with a clickable link)
For our client, we focused on niche-specific and long-tail keywords such as “winter clothes for women” Since it was a super relevant for our website and had a low keyword difficulty.
The table below describes the before SEO and after SEO position of these keywords –
(iii) Product descriptions –
A proper description of the products goes a long way in helping the user decide whether he/she would like to go ahead with the purchase.
We create elaborate product descriptions on our client’s site. This included a detailed sizing chart as per different US, UK and European conventions.
We also included information on the apparel model’s body type, along with size by size dimensions including shoulder-length, body length, sleeve length, etc. All the pictures were in high resolution.
In addition, we also included the following information –
- Front, back, and side image of a typical “model” wearing the item
- Brief paragraph description of the item, including information on the fabric and how it wears on the body
(iV) Canonical tags –
A canonical tag is a way of telling a search engine which version of URL you want to appear in search results. This has been one of the biggest SEO concerns for eCommerce apparel brands. The issue is commonly born from when there are many variations in sizes, colors, and designs for a particular apparel, and so the e-commerce plugin will generate a unique URL for each version. The problem when this happens is that each URL will carry the exact same product description, title tag, and H1 tag. This creates duplicate content. Duplicate content is frowned upon by Google and can result in a drop in search engine ranking via algorithmic penalty.
To address this issue we implemented Canonical tags to indicate which product pages we want indexed by Google. This was implemented by our developer’s team.
(V) Meta description –
Meta description is an HTML attribute that provides a brief summary of a web page. Search engines such as Google often display the meta description in search results, which can influence the clickthrough rates.
We optimized the meta description of the website by including the most relevant information for the visitors. We kept the description as per the best SEO practices at 160 characters in length that helped avoid the truncation of meta description in the SERPs while giving all the important information about the online store.
We took the following steps to decide the content of the meta description content
- Setting a tone that was consistent with our clients brand
- Including the keywords that are searched by our target audience
- Taking advantage of the trending social headlines such as fashion shows, award shows.
- Making the meta description specific
2) Off-Page SEO –
The following steps were taken for Off-Page SEO optimization. –
- Link building –Link building forms the most important part of the off-page SEO activity. It is aimed at increasing the number and quality of inbound links to the webpage with the goal to improve the search rankings and boosting organic traffic.We got 40 contextual backlinks during these six months for our client through the process of guest posting through manual blogger outreach on websites having a similar niche and high quality.
This significantly helped improve the domain authority of the website which went from a DA of 45 to DA 52 of 8 within 6 months.
- Social signals-Social media plays a hugely important role in spreading online word of mouth and even to increase sales. The most recent figures on local search engine ranking factors attribute 4% of rank to social media.With this in mind, we significantly increased the social media activity of our client’s account on Instagram, Facebook and, Twitter. We also ramped up the efforts to promote the client brand through these networks.
The activities include regular updates on the new arrivals in the store, ongoing deals, and discount offers. Lucky draw contests. We also emphasized on putting video content describing the various products and engaging with the users in the comment section.
A brief snapshot of activities undertook for On-page and Off-Page SEO
In all the SEO parameters we had defined at the start of the project we were able to see improvements in all of them.
- Total Monthly Traffic increased by almost 60% than the traffic at the start.
- The total number of organic ranking keywords increased by almost 40%
- The organic impressions on the website more than doubled
- The total number of Keywords ranking within the top 3 Google search result almost doubled
See what the table and graph looks like between September 19’ and March 20’
Before SEO, Report as drawn on 3 Sep 19’
After SEO, report as drawn on 3 Mar 20’